Our Core Values:
C - Commitment
A - Accountability
P - Professionalism
I - Integrity
T - Teamwork
E - Excellence
L - Leadership
D - Discipline
Our Core Functions
- Pursue the development of shipping and regulatory matters relating to merchant shipping and seafarers.
- Administration and regulation of shipping licences.
- Administration, Regulation and Certification of Seafarers.
- Establishment of Martitme Training and Safety Standards.
- Regulation of safety of shipping as regards the construction of ships and navigation.
- Provision of Maritime Search and Rescue Services.
- Provide direction and ensure compliance with vessels security measures.
- Carry our Air and Coastal Surveillance.
- Control and prevent Maritime Pollution.
- Develop and implement policies and programs, which will facilitate the growth of local capacity in ownership, manning and construction of ships and other maritime infrastructure.
- Enhance and administer the provision of Cabotage Act 2003.
- Perform Port and Flag State duties.
- Provide Maritime Security.
- Establish the procedure for the implementation of conventions of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Labour Organization (ILO), and other international conventions to which the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a party on Maritime Safety and Security, Maritime Labour, Commercial Shipping, and for the implementation of Codes, Resolutions and Circulars arising there from.